14.1.08

Rosemarie Fiore



rose.marie.fiore




The following is from an interview with artist Rosemarie Fiore. I saw her work when she did a large scale piece in Kansas City (Where I went to undergrad) involving a tilt-a-whirl. But it is her works about gaming that are of interest to us in the context of this course... Involving her interests in games she comments:

"I am a gamer. It’s in my blood. As a child, I used to follow my brother to the arcades and play all the games. My brother was truly amazing, he could play Galaga for an hour straight on one quarter and still can. I love the rhythm of playing games, the adrenaline rush, the excitement and the flashing lights and sounds of the arcade. I get lost. It’s akin to creating art. It’s a beautiful experience."

"I love the old games because of their simplicity and music. There is an art to making a simple game. I think my favorite game is Asteriods because when I play it, I feel like I am really floating in space."




In regards to these photographic prints she comments:

These photographs are long exposures taken while playing video war games of the 80's created by Atari, Centuri and Taito. The photographs were shot from video game screens while I played the games. By recording each second of an entire game on one frame of film, I captured complex patterns not normally seen by the eye.


No comments: